Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Vogue V8352 In a Red Dot Cotton

Vogue V8352 is a dress with a dropped waist and front and back darts. It has a one piece convertible collar and three sleeve variations. The skirt can be gathered or pleated.

Although not truly a shirt dress, this pattern addresses some of the problems I have with Butterick B6091. The convertible collar sits neatly closed at the throat and the dropped waist eliminates that all too curvy silhouette that I disliked so much with the Butterick pattern.

I sewed the project up in a cherry red cotton print with a white dot.

Garment Finish:  The pattern was well drafted and I had no problems with construction. I used a combination of french seams and over-locked seam finishes. Grade: A+

Fit: The dropped waist covers many sins, but at the same time it does give me the look of a unfitted sack. I may take in the fitted darts again. Let's see after a couple wearings. Grade: B-

Material Choice: The cotton print gave a crisp look to the project and it was easy to sew. I do regret the cherry red for winter. The color is too bold a statement for the typical palette of grey, black, and brown in the winter here in Belgium. I definitely need to change the buttons to red. The white ones stand out too much. Grade: A-

Style and Wearabilty: It's a better dress than the Butterick shirt dress, but it still has it's problems. I think I will save my final verdict for after some adjustments in the darting and some new buttons. Right now the grade is a B-.

Overall: B There is room for improvement.



No comments:

Post a Comment